Dual Credit Semester
If you are a high school student in School District 5, 6, or 8, and would like to get a jump-start on a career as an Early Childhood Education, Education Assistant, or Human Service Worker this dual credit semester may be right for you. Daycares and School Districts in our region need more qualified staff to meet critical shortages.
What you will gain:
• 16 high school credits toward graduation
• An educational qualification for work in an entry level position as an Early Childhood Education Assistant
• 13 post-secondary credits, of which 10 are credits in one of the CYFS certificate programs
Successful participants of the program will be immediately qualified to work as ECE Assistants and may choose to pursue a career as an entry-level Education Assistant. Once working, students can build onto the 10 credits in the Child, Youth and Family Studies academic stream to specialize and pursue full certification in Early Childhood Education, Education Assistant or Human Service Worker.
This 16 week semester includes three of the Child Youth and Family Studies core courses and an elective course to help you succeed in future post-secondary studies:
- CYFS 101 - Inclusive Interpersonal Communications
- CYFS 102 - Observing and Recording
- CYFS 116 - Lifespan Development
- HLTH 104 - Introduction to Personal Health and Wellbeing
*All students who successfully complete CYFS 116 are eligible to apply for a license to work as an Early Childhood Education Assistant. ECE Assistant application info
Pre-requisite: 65% minimum in English 12
Textbook costs approximately $800
For more information please contact Jeff Pew.