Youth Train In Trades & Dual Credit Courses
Youth Train In Trades
Grade 11 and 12 students who want to enter one of the following trades at College of the Rockies can earn dual credit for grade 12 graduation and post secondary technical training at the same time. Giving you a head start in trades training and saving students money on their post secondary education.
- Auto Service Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)
- Professional Cook Training
For more information please see Jeff Pew.
Child Youth And Family Studies
Dual Credit Semester - Begins February 2022
If you are a high school student in School District 5, 6, or 8, and would like to get a jump-start on a career as an Early Childhood Education, Education Assistant, or Human Service Worker this dual credit semester may be right for you. Daycares and School Districts in our region need more qualified staff to meet critical shortages.
What you will gain:
• 16 high school credits toward graduation
• An educational qualification for work in an entry level position as an Early Childhood Education Assistant
• 13 post-secondary credits, of which 10 are credits in one of the CYFS certificate programs
Successful participants of the program will be immediately qualified to work as ECE Assistants and may choose to pursue a career as an entry-level Education Assistant. Once working, students can build onto the 10 credits in the Child, Youth and Family Studies academic stream to specialize and pursue full certification in Early Childhood Education, Education Assistant or Human Service Worker.
This 16 week semester includes three of the Child Youth and Family Studies core courses and an elective course to help you succeed in future post-secondary studies:
- CYFS 101 - Inclusive Interpersonal Communications
- CYFS 102 - Observing and Recording
- CYFS 116 - Lifespan Development
- HLTH 104 - Introduction to Personal Health and Wellbeing
*All students who successfully complete CYFS 116 are eligible to apply for a license to work as an Early Childhood Education Assistant. ECE Assistant application info
Pre-requisite: 65% minimum in English 12
Textbook costs approximately $800
For more information please contact Jeff Pew.